Hello Team Goodenough! Is it just me who gets excited about decorating for Christmas sometime in October? Or are you like my partner who would rather if all things festive were confined to December? In any case, I’ve rounded up three ideas to make your home office a festive and inspiring space for Christmas and beyond!
Festive idea #1: have an end-of-year clear-out
Yeah, I know, I know, not the funnest of all tips! But before I move onto adding pretty elements to your home office, we do need to start here. And by we… I mean me. I really need to tidy up my office space! I’ve got an inbox full of papers related to my PhD that I no longer need. I have a box of crackers I don’t eat. And there’s a big cardboard box on my desk that I’ve been hanging onto because it has a friend’s address on it… Which I should just add to a spreadsheet of friends’ addresses on Google Sheets, rather than keeping boxes and envelopes with their addresses on…
Anyhoo, enough about my clutter: what does your home office look like? Could it do with a 30-minute tidy-up? A YouTuber I follow has a monthly “life admin day”. I have yet to implement the idea myself, but that would be a great time to get all those niggling tasks out of the way, so that you can start fresh.
This might also be a good time to do a bit of a digital clean up: unsubscribing from email lists and podcasts that don’t serve you or bring you joy. I wrote a whole blog post about doing a digital detox, you can find it here! If your physical clutter is a real issue though, you might be interested in the KonMari method: I read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying* a while back and it really helped me to tame the madness regarding my clothes… I clearly need to revisit her principles in my office though!
* Please note: I’ve marked affiliate links with an asterisk. If you follow those links and make a purchase, I may earn a commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my blog!
Festive idea #2: add Christmassy touches
Right, hopefully your office is now tidy-ish, so let’s move on to the pretty festive touches! I’ve rounded up a selection of festive decorations you could add to your home office, even if you’re on a budget. If you’re like me and you have quite a small office space: be creative! Can you put decorations on a windowsill or a bookcase? Can you hang baubles on the wall or from a corkboard?
- Wooden Merry Xmas sign*: I love that this is a blank canvas to be personalised, a nice mini DIY project!
- Wreath with lights*
- Eucalyptus brass hoop*
- Velvet Christmas stocking*: at the time of writing these are sold out, but hopefully there’s some more on the way soon.
- Chase your dreams bauble*
- Gold star curtain: this would certainly make for a festive backdrop to your Zoom calls!
- Personalised Christmas banner*
- Mini artificial potted tree
- Snowflake goal tracker: this printable tracker was made by yours truly, I couldn’t resist adding it to this list. It would pair well with the “chase your dreams” bauble, both pinned above your desk!
- Personalised stripe stocking*
- Gold pinecones: you could also DIY this by spray painting pinecones that you found on a walk.
- Bauble card holder: wouldn’t this be lovely to hold post-its?
Festive idea #3: choose things that sparkle and bring joy
Above, I shared some decorations that are explicitly Christmassy. But another approach is to furnish your office with beautiful objects that are functional and can be used year-round. Now I’m not encouraging you to throw out everything you own and replace it today! But for example if you’re in the market for something new, you could consider one of the items below, which will give your office a festive sparkle, but also won’t look out of place the rest of the year.
- Concrete and gold candle*
- Blush notebook*
- Three-tier hanging pot: you might recognise this and a few other items from my Christmas wishlist!
- Snake plant in gold pot*: I’ve definitely got my eye on this!
- Pink velvet chair
- Agate coaster*
- New York candle
- Gold candle lantern*
- Copper letter basket*: this is the previously-mentioned overflowing inbox. At least it’s pretty!
- Rose gold laptop*
That’s all from me today. Remember: you’re already good enough, show up for your goals and have a joyful day!
PS: If you want to keep in the loop of all things work-from-home, goal-setting and online business, sign up for my newsletter below! And as a thank you, you’ll receive my free guide to three ways you may secretly be sabotaging your success… and how to follow through with your plans instead! Think of it as your shortcut from procrastination to productivity (and happiness!).